Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Play Me

You are the sun
I am the moon
You are the word
I am the tune
Play me!

I was invited to the Denver stop of Neil Diamond's world tour tonight. And for the record, NEIL DIAMOND ROCKS!

Yes, my 30 year old sister and I rocked out with a bunch of grey hairs as the 67 year old Neil out did himself with a non stop, no intermission, 2 1/2 hour show. We were teethed on this guy's music. Our father lived and breathed Neil through the 80's.

He's got to be up there among the best song writers to ever live. He has an uncanny ability to reach down into the depths of a situation and make you feel it down to your toes. With that rich raspy voice and gift for melody he exudes Joy, Pain, Loneliness, Love, heartbreak, patriotism...

and Faith.
I noticed something tonight... A red thread in his work. A presence of the Holy. A wrestling with God, a questioning, then a discovery! And in the later work a coming home, a rest and a peace.

This was no Evangelical worship fest, but it was indeed a God honoring christian concert. His body of work speaks for itself. Consider this artist's song of salvation. She is the Holy Spirit.

PLAY ME



She was morning
And I was night time
I one day woke up
To find her lying
Beside my bed
I softly said
"Come take me"

For I've been lonely
In need of someone
As though I'd done
Someone wrong somewhere
I don't know where
Come lately

You are the sun
I am the moon
You are the words
I am the tune
Play me

Song she sang to me
Song she brang to me
Words that rang in me
Rhyme that sprang from me
Warmed the night
And what was right
Became me

You are the sun
I am the moon
You are the words
I am the tune
Play me

And so it was
That I came to travel
Upon a road
That was thorned and narrow
Another place
Another grace
Would save me

You are the sun
I am the moon
You are the word
I am the tune
Play me
The subtlety and beauty of these lyrics astound me. The task of the artist is to tell it slant. We communicate in ways that compel attention, but are not pregnant with clarity of meaning. A little discernment is required. Perhaps a work of the Spirit. Consider Christ's Parables!

No question this song gained popular acceptance as a song of romantic love and a muse. But this song is a beautiful prayer of submission and humility before God. God is the source, he is a mere reflector of God's glory. God is the message, he is colorful presentation - an instrument in His hand. And Neil offers his prayer: Play me!

This is my prayer.

Check out his lyrics from the last few years. They are more blatant in their content. These songs were new to me tonight:

These songs aren't on his greatest hits albums. In fact his last few albums have barely gone gold, after having had a stream of multi platinum. They are worth another look though. This man is pointing us to God.

1 comment:

dancinglife said...

Thanks, I didn't know he was still at it. That was beautiful. One of my favorites of his: "Forever in blue jeans"