Saturday, September 20, 2008

Here I Raise My...

Are you ever struck by a word?

I had a moment last spring where a word became a focal point, a harbinger of clarity, a perfect title for a project!

Ebenezer

I've loved the hymn, “O Thou Fount of Every Blessing.” I remember when my worship leader stopped mid verse and asked, "Does anybody know what an Ebenezer is?" He went on to explain that the prophet Samuel had erected a stone on the field of battle after Israel defeated the Philistines to commemorate God's help (1 Samuel 7:12). The word Ebenezer means "stone of help." And to be sure, God's help is an awesome thing to commemorate. But God's help wasn't the concept that grabbed me last spring. It was something else about a stone of help, something in the means and something in the remembering.

Among other duties Christian Artists make Ebenezers. We create that we might remember.

Too easily the memory of God’s faithfulness fades. The prophet who visualizes clearly, “this was important and must be remembered,” is serving well by making a signpost, an object, a remembrance. Maybe it’s a painting, or a song, or a poem, or a verse carved above the door. And maybe, just maybe it is a blog.

There is much much more to say, but here is to good beginnings!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, how are you? I am sending you this comment, because I am serching for blogger friends, and your site is interesting to me. I have an art blog here in San Diego, and I am curious if you would become my freind? Are you up to it?
I hope to see you soon on my art blog, and take care,
Sincerely,
Jesse